Comedy Jameel Competition
Comedy Jameel is a competition that aims to support and inspire comedians in Saudi Arabia and beyond. Launched by Bab Rizq Jameel, an initiative of Community Jameel, in collaboration with Al Comedy Club, Comedy Jameel seeks to uncover global comedic talents, bring them into the public spotlight and provide opportunities to advance their careers.
Broadcast weekly on Mondays on Community Jameel’s YouTube channel, Comedy Jameel is hosted by the Saudi content creator Turki Almohsen. Selected videos will be shown during the YouTube show, which includes entertainment and interactive segments, and the audience may vote for their favourite videos online, which will win weekly prizes, in addition to a monthly grand prize.
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to all.
Terms and conditions:
- Participants must be 12 years of age or older
- Participants must be 12 years of age or older
- The video must not be longer than one minute
- The video must be in the comedy field
- The video must be of high quality
- Only one video may be submitted each week
- The video must be recent: the production date must not exceed 2 years
- The participant must not be a professional; only beginner or amateur will be accepted
- Participants’ videos must be in Arabic
- Participants must agree to the terms and conditions
Competition awards (distributed weekly)
Winners will receive the following awards:
- First place SAR 5,000
- Second place SAR 3,000
- Third place SAR 2,000
Grand Prize (distributed monthly)
The first-, second- and third-place winners in the weekly competition qualify for the monthly grand prize of SAR 25,000, awarded to the month’s top-rated video. In addition to the cash prize, a senior professional in the comedy field will be assigned to mentor the winners and hone their talents towards a professional career.
A jury of three members from Al Comedy Club select and evaluate submitted videos based on the competition’s terms and conditions, and nominate three videos for the weekly competition prizes, hosted by Turki Almohsen on Community Jameel’s YouTube channel.
How to enter the competition:
The application window opens each Monday, starting on June 29, 2020. Applications close each Friday at midnight. The top three videos will be selected and announced during each episode on Mondays at 9:00pm (Saudi time) on Community Jameel’s YouTube channel.
Members of the public can vote for their favourite of the three videos at the end of each episode. Voting closes on Friday of the same week at midnight.
The winners of the first, second and third-place prizes will be announced on the next episode.
- Full name
- E-mail address
- Place of residence: (city, country)
- About the video:
- Uploading the video
- Terms and Conditions
By agreeing to the terms and conditions:
- The contestant agrees to the conditions for entering our competition and that we have the right to announce the winners’ names and place of residence.
- The contestant confirms that he or she is the person appearing in the video or that he or she has obtained the prior approval of any person appearing in the video to submit his or her image in the competition.
- The contestant agrees that we have the right to put his or her image on any medium (including but not limited to the internet) at all times and all over the world without any restrictions. This includes purposes outside that of the competition only.
- The contestant acknowledges that we can modify the image at our sole discretion.
- The contestant acknowledges our right to use his or her name, image, and personal information along with his or her image.
- The contestant agrees not to take any legal actions, proceedings or claims against us for violating any property and/or personal rights as a result of using his or her image in any way.
- The contestant unconditionally waives his or her right to claim or obtain a ruling to prevent or restrict our use of his or her image.
- All contestants must consider applicable laws and religious obligations, avoid any infringement of religious or political figures or sectarian ideas, and avoid obscene phrases, sexual gestures, and political issues. In case of breaching any of such commitments, the contestant shall be fully responsible.
- Community Jameel, at its sole discretion, is entitled to withhold the prize if there are no works that are worth being awarded.
By agreeing to take part in our competition, all contestants:
- Assign and transfer to us all their current and future rights (including copyrights) on all media (including but not limited to the Internet).
- Agree not to claim any material rights regarding their comedy entry into the competition (wherever and whenever those rights are recognised) against us, our assignees, or our partners.
- Declare that their participation in our competition does not constitute a breach of any of the intellectual property rights of any third party in any way; that it does not contain anything that is offensive, immoral, or threatening; and that they shall compensate Community Jameel for any losses, damages or liabilities that may arise in the event of not complying with the above. In the event that the contestant complies with the above, we reserve the right—without any obligations (and without limiting the contestant’s pledges as written above) to screen, filter and/or monitor, amend, reject, cut or remove the information provided by the contestant.
- Affirm that they have the right, power and authority to grant the above rights and that they have acquired all necessary approvals and permissions to grant us those rights
To avoid any doubts, all rights granted in the name of the competition, along with the competition form, are our sole proprietorship and we can use them at our sole discretion.
Cancelling and terminating the competition
In case it is not possible to hold a competition as planned for any reasons—including but not limited to, force majeure, emergencies, the will of the competition organizers, technical problems, unauthorised interference, computer viruses, poor mobile network, acts of fraud, or any other reasons that fall beyond our control in a way—that may adversely affect the safe and fair running of any competition or its proper implementation; we reserve the right to cancel, terminate, suspend or amend the competition and/or any provisions related to it, and/or revoke the eligibility of any individual who caused (either directly or indirectly) this problem. We have the right to amend the terms and conditions of any competition or terminate it at any time at our sole discretion without any responsibility towards any contestant or any third party. In case a competition is cancelled or terminated, no prizes shall be rewarded.
Decisions are final
- All our decisions, pertinent to any competition and/or awards, are final. They shall never be debated or discussed with any contestant or third party.
- All results, disputes, issues or concerns are dealt with by us, or, if necessary, by law through independent arbitration.
- In case a competition requires voting, the accuracy of the results we announce shall be final and binding and shall not be disputed.
- Contestants waive their right to the material they submit and all other related rights including the right to litigate a case.
Failure to implement the terms and conditions
- If, in any case, we fail to implement any of these terms and conditions at any time, neither contestants nor winners shall have the right to bring any claim or take any action. Meanwhile, this shall not be considered a waiver of any of our rights in this regard.
Exclusion of liability
- Except for what is stipulated in these terms and conditions, and to the extent permitted by law, all lawful, explicitly or implicitly set terms, pledges and obligations are excluded by law.
- To the extent permitted by law, we bear no responsibility towards any contestant or winner in relation to or arising from the competition for whatever reason, including any costs, expenses, expropriated prizes, damages, or any other responsibilities, provided that nothing in such terms limits or excludes our liability for personal injury or death resulting from our negligence. To avoid any doubts, this paragraph 17 also applies to any prizes offered by a third party.
- In case any of these general conditions (or any special conditions stipulated) is deemed illegal, invalid, void, or otherwise not enforceable, it will be removed from the other provisions, but the other provisions shall remain fully in force.
- These general conditions (or any special conditions) are governed by the laws of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Competition eligibility rules
- Community Jameel employees are not allowed to take part in the competition in any capacity whatsoever.
- All people of all nationalities can enter the competition without any conditions or restrictions on their entry.